It’s a short one this week, folks!
Celebrate your Friends!
Oct 16-22 is National Friends of Libraries Week: a good time to recognize and thank thank those who govern, promote, advocate, and fundraise for libraries. Whether it be the official Friends of the Library, library trustee, a foundation member, or local volunteers, these partnerships create a powerful support network for libraries. Such groups highlight the importance of library services, which include the expertise librarians provide, diverse all-ages programming, and the safety of a welcoming space — available to all members of our communities.
National Friends of Libraries Week is coordinated by United for Libraries, a division of the American Library Association. For more information and ideas on how to promote and thank your Friends of the Libraries, visit www.ala.org/united.
Free! (There’s a deadline.)
Join the Libraries Talk About Race Advisory Group!
- Offer your voice and perspective on racial equity, and how Wisconsin library workers can take action in the context of learning.
- Learn more about how continuing education is provided to public libraries statewide in Wisconsin.
- Learn what the possibilities are within projects that are funded by LSTA.
- Connect with colleagues across the state who are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Applications to serve on the IDEA Team Advisory Committee are due October 30th, 2022.
- More about the advisory group: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uF3SJdC_Ps9s-wDVhd-jEnvWvzuI-3_jqKOWIO1nTnI/edit?usp=sharing
- Go right to the application: https://forms.gle/rDya8ARXQaYYAEh99
- More information and application at https://www.wislibidea.com/.
If you have any questions, please reach out to Mark Jochem (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Coming right up!
Details and registration links on the IFLS calendar.
- Thu Oct 20th 10:00am – 11:00am: Webmaster Office Hours
- Thu Oct 20th 2:00pm – 3:00pm: Marketing Is Not a Dirty Word
- Fri Oct 21st 10:00am – 11:00am: Library Director Check-In
- Mon Oct 24th – Fri 28th: Delivery Study Week
- Wed Oct 26th OR Thu Oct 27th 10:00am – 2:00pmBeyond the Desk: A Workshop for non-management library workers
- Tue Nov 8th 10:00am – 11:00am: Webmaster Office Hours
- The Reluctant Library Advocate, see below
The Reluctant Library Advocate fall webinar series
So much of library work requires advocacy–for resources, for funding, for staff, for communities, and so much more.. yet many of us feel ill-equipped or reluctant to take on this role. In this virtual workshop series, we will engage in interactive activities designed to help you find your voice, tame your inner critic, and overcome imposter syndrome.
PART ONE—choose either session 1 or 2. These sessions will not be recorded, and are the same to allow more to attend. Please pick one, and only register if you plan to attend. Space is limited.
- Session 1: Wed. 11/9, 2pm Register here. Through the use of high-fun low-stakes games, scenarios, and break-out rooms, we will practice communicating with confidence, telling stories and distilling them into elevator pitches, connecting with various audiences, and encouraging buy-in. Full participation requires that camera and mic be enabled. (Sessions 1 and 2 will not be recorded and space is limited. Only register if you plan to attend, and choose one).
- Session 2: Tues. 11/15, 10am Register here. Same as Session 1, but a different date and time to accommodate more schedules.
PART TWO–Open to all:
- Session 3: Wed. 12/7, 10am will be recorded, and there is more space, too! It is a wrap-up session, open to all, whether you attended an earlier session or not. Register here.This session will be a recap of earlier sessions, pulling together advocacy tips and strategies, with an opportunity to share experiences. This session will be recorded!