IFLS Libraries Represent!
The African Studies Program at the University of Wisconsin-Madison is pleased to announce the winners of the Read Africa grant competition. Five of the 34 libraries are from IFLS! Congratulations to Pepin, Prescott, Amery, Colfax, and Hammond for applying for funding and receiving it! Look for more high quality books about Africa, coming soon to the MORE system!
Job Seekers Headed Your Way
The work search requirement waiver for people on Unemployment Insurance ended as of last Sunday, so people who are filing claims on May 30 and after will have to report work search actions to be eligible. Job Centers are already seeing an uptick in requests for assistance, and their doors don’t open until June 1.
What can you do to get ready?
- This FAQ has some great information about what constitutes as a work search action, and how folks need to document it.
- Register for the Meet Your Partners webinar/workshop, June 16 from 1-2:30. It’s interactive and designed to connect you to local workforce development partners and resources and think through some scenarios you might encounter with job-seekers at the library. Register here.
- Take a look at the IFLS resource for job-seekers.
- If you would like a job-seeker page for your website, please contact Anne Hamland (email@example.com).
Look for more coming about this, and if you have general questions or concerns about assisting job-seekers, please let Leah know! firstname.lastname@example.org
Extended Audiobook Loan Period
Catch That Phish
Reb’s heard about a couple phishing emails making the rounds, supposedly from a photographer asking for payment for images used and threatening a lawsuit. Here’s a handy fact sheet from the FTC on how to spot and deal with fraudulent e-mails. NEVER respond to an email that asks for passwords or financial information, even if it looks like it’s official. Questions? Submit a HelpDesk ticket if you’re not sure about an email or have any other internet security questions.
New on the Website
- Bookmarker templates and a press release sample for Summer Library Programs on the toolkit page. (Contact Reb or Leah if you need the password.)
- Canva templates of River Falls’ rack cards to customize for your library are on the Marketing page. Thanks for sharing, River Falls!
Coming Up at IFLS and Beyond
- May 31 – IFLS office closed for Memorial Day
- June 11th at 1:00 pm – WiLSWorld Shorts: The Wisconsin Latinx History Collective
- Fri Jun 11th – 9th Annual Lake Superior Libraries Symposium Registration is limited.
- June 16 from 1-2:30 – Meet Your Partners webinar/workshop training for job seeker resources. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Have a good weekend!