That Mask Thing: Resources and Language
Focus on the positive, and avoid words like “law” and “fines”. Communication suggestions from IFLS librarians:
- Mary (Ogema) like “Because libraries believe everyone counts”
- Rob (Cumberland) uses something like this (I’m paraphrasing! Please correct me, Rob.): We wear a mask to keep you safe, and you wearing a mask keeps us safe. That’s why we require a mask.
- Katherine (Rice Lake) uses kindness: “Hi! Welcome to the library! Have a mask!”
- Katie’s T-Rex made an appearance on Glenwood City’s Facebook page.
- Cricket (Clear Lake) forwarded some library posters from Wyoming with a “Wearing is Caring” theme.
- The state has some resources that includes a Deaf and hard of hearing visual communication tool visor card..
- All the IFLS resources I sent out are up on the IFLS Marketing page.
From John: A few have asked if a library board meeting is needed prior to the Emergency Order going into effect. The answer is no. Libraries should be requiring face coverings/masks as outlined in the Emergency Order.
Some mentioned today during the Director Check-in some law enforcement agencies have indicated that they will not be responding to calls about individuals not wearing a mask. Your local library patron conduct/behavior policies are established to help with patron behavior issues. Also see the attached email for the upcoming Ryan Dowd Webinar COVID: How to deal with problem behaviours related to COVID-19. This webinar and other Ryan Dowd webinars/resources are also useful with handling problem behaviors.
Please let John know if you have any questions.
Next week is a busy week for webinars
- Aug 4: WISCAT Basic Training with Maureen
- Aug 5: HR Issues in the Time of COVID
- August 6: Job Center of Wisconsin for Job Seekers
More coming up! Check the calendar.
Why we can’t post Zoom logins publicly: there’s no way to post those in a way that is easy to get to and also maintains privacy. Always feel free to contact whoever’s hosting to get login information. We’ll make a point in including that in any reminder e-mails we send out.
New on the Website
- IFLS COVID-19 guidelines for visits on the COVID-19 page.
- Watch for updates on the ILL toggle on the COVID-19 page as things change.
- A reminder that although the Cataloging button is gone from the staff page, all that great content is still available on the Article Index.
Don’t forget to update your info on the Library Service spreadsheet
Link to the spreadsheet page. It’s very useful for IFLS staff as well as other libraries. You can edit right on the page, you don’t need to click on the log in button.
Last Chance to Tell Reb What You Think About the Website
I’ll be using that information to realign the website to work better for you! Even if you don’t have a strong opinion, the more replies I get the better the results. Please take a couple minutes to fill it out if you haven’t yet.