Search for a Matching Record
The first step in adding an item to the MORE database is to search the database for a matching record. The most direct way to do this is to search by ISBN (or UPC if working with an AV item). If no match is found, try searching by title. If an item is the same between the covers it can use the same bib record; paperback editions can be added to the hardcover record and reprints with different ISBNs can be added to the same bib record. Only if there is something different about this item, such as a reading guide, author interview, foreward, special features, or a different illustrator, is a new bib record required. When that happens be sure to add a note that describes the difference so others are aware of the reason for additional records. Occasionally the actual title of an item is not clear; in this case it can be helpful to search by author to see how it is entered if an ISBN match is not found. In the case of DVDs, often movies are re-released by different distributors, espeically in the case of older films. If the movie is the same, same actors, same length (within a couple minutes), same attributes (a colorized version of an original black and white film is NOT the same) and any bonus features are the same they can go on the same record. For audiobooks on CD, the narrator and number of discs must match. Time can vary up to 30 minutes as different publishers can have longer pauses between tracks. If there is a different narrator, different number of discs (even if the length is the same) or any added material such as an author interview, a new bib record is required.
Attach New Item
- Search for the bibliographic record using the methods discussed under “Search for a Matching Record.”
- Once you have found the bibliographic record you wish to attach to, select the Summary icon.
- Then select Attach New Item.
- A pop-up box will appear for the IType. Select the type that reflects your item. Click on Next.
- A pop-up box will appear for the PRICE. Enter the price of your item. Click on Next.
- A pop-up box will appear for the CALL #. Enter the call number you wish to use for your item. Click on Next.
- A pop-up box will appear for the BARCODE. Scan or type in the barcode of your item. Click on Next.
- PLEASE NOTE: the prompts may not be the same in all of the item templates. These examples above are the very basic prompts. Your prompts may be different.
- The New Item will appear. The two arrows indicate that this is a New item. The arrows indicate that New Item has been replaced with the new item record number.
- Click on the Save icon.
- When the item record is Saved, an item record number will be assigned to it.
- You can go through the item record to be sure you’ve enterd in the correct information. You can make any changes if needed.
- By clicking on Summary, you can view your item record as well as any others that are attached to this bib record. The red arrow shows your new item record.
Print Spine Label
To set up your workstation for printing spine labels, you must first turn on the print templates.
- Go to Admin-Settings.
- Click on the Print Templates tab.
- Change the Output type to Spine Label, and check the box in front of Use Print Templates.
- From the list on the right, move over the templates for the labels you want to use to the left side so they are under Preferred templates.
The recommended templates are:
- Master Label for all should take care of 95% of all labels you need to print.
- MasterLP Master with large font prints call numbers in large type.
- MasterLong Master for longer names moves the left margin over; for use in libraries where the author’s last name is spelled out.
- Single nf split2 is for non-fiction call numbers with the Dewey number split on two lines – the first three numbers on one line and any following numbers on the second line. For example:
J J 818.54 818 AMO .54 AMO (labelnfwh) (labelspl2)
- Click Save Settings.
- Under File – Select Printer, click on Print Templates.
- Change the Output type to Spine label and click Print.
- Click the drop down box for printer name and select the Zebra printer you will be using for the labels.
- Click the box in front of Save this printer selection.
- Click Print.
Set up is complete. TO PRINT LABELS:
- From Admin – Settings, click on the Print Templates tab.
- At the bottom of the screen, in the Select Template box, click the drop down arrow and select the template you want to use.
- Click Save Settings.
- After you create an item record, and SAVED IT, type Ctrl L to send the spine label to the printer. You can also click Tools – Print Spine Label.
- NOTE: You must save the item record before the spine label will print!
Delete item record
- Search for the item record.
- In the item record, go to the File menu and select File>Delete Item record.
- A Delete Record(s) pop-up dialog box will appear. Select Yes to delete the record or No to return to the item record.
- Close the record by either: clicking the Close icon, Alt+Q, or selecting File>Close.
- If your item happens to be the last item on the bib record:
- A pop up box will come up asking if you want to delete the bib record as well. Click on Yes.
- If the bib record can’t be deleted–usually because the catcode = x–no further action is necessary. IFLS staff regularly delete these records and update holdings in OCLC as needed.