(also sent as an email to the IFLS youth services list)
PLEASE NOTE: Performer resources listed here are intended for IFLS librarians. We are in the process of updating the Youth Services website, but in the meantime, I wanted to share a few resources about performers:
- There is a crowd-sourced evaluation of performers for youth.It is now set up so you can edit it to add reviews (instead of filling out the form), but please make a copy if you are going to manipulate the sheet in any other way for your own use. It has data going back nearly 6 years. I have gone in and taken out groups/individuals that don’t seem to be performing any more, and updated contact information as possible.
- I created a new 2022 Performer Collaboration Spreadsheet. If you are looking for collaborators, it is always fine to send a note to the list. But if you also add it to this sheet, it will be another place to check for everyone! Like most things, this only works if you participate…The 2021 collaboration spreadsheet had some things listed, so hopefully you will find this one helpful as well.
1000 Books Before Kindergarten App Retired
A quick reminder that the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten App that was developed by Bridges Library System has been retired. If you are looking for help developing a 1KB4K program on Beanstack, let me know and I will connect you with a helper! Here are video instructions for bulk-adding books to Beanstack.
Blog Posts of Note
- From Keeping Up with Kids: Early Literacy Requires Family Engagement
- From YSS Blog: What Do You Do When a Library Teen Is Suicidal?
- From ALSC Blog: Serving Underserved Youth (chock-full of resources)
Youth Media Awards
The Newbery, the Caldecott, the Coretta Scott King, the Pura Belpre, the Schneider, and many more exciting awards will be announced on MONDAY!! If you want to get the inside scoop you can tune in at 8 am to watch a live video stream. Can’t manage that, but want to know what gets awarded as soon as possible? Watch the Youth Media Awards website.
SLP Webinars and Resources
- Teaser: I’m working with Anne Moser from the Water Library and her contact from the Great Lakes Indian Fish and Wildlife Commission to do a webinar for us about school-age water-related programs for summer. Watch for details coming soon.
- You might also want to check out the webinar workshop coming on February 22, Summer Library Program Learning and Fun: Catch the Wave from NEWI!
- Another reminder that you should have access to the CSLP Manual, chock-full of illustrations and ideas for SLP 2022. Please let me know if you need help accessing it. There are also some recordings of a CSLP Symposium also available on the CSLP website.
Remember to mark your calendars! I will send out a reminder to IFLS librarians closer to the date and include connection information.
- February 9, 2-3 pm: Circulating KITS
- April 7, 2-3 pm: Supporting Early Literacy and Re-thinking 1000 Books Before Kindergarten
- June 8, 2-3 pm: Risk Management Techniques and the SLP