March is certainly an exciting and tumultuous month weather-wise (and otherwise, too!). I hope things are going as well as possible for you all. Here are a few resources I recommend taking a look at:
Summer Library Program:
- Looking to work with your schools to promote summer programs? Check out this practical and useful blog post in Wisconsin Libraries for Everyone!
Other Upcoming Professional Development:
- Bringing the Library to Your Community, April 5, 1-2:30 pm. Heather Acerro from the Rochester MN Public Library will discuss ways RPL uses outreach services to reach new and infrequent library users with sustainable, scalable, and affordable methods. Register here.
- Youth Services Check-In, April 7, 2-3 pm. We’ll be talking about early childhood programs, like 1000 Books Before Kindergarten, and ways to support families and caregivers with their important jobs! Bring your ideas and questions. Zoom link coming via email on April 6!
- UW Extension is sponsoring a new round of Youth Mental Health First Aid training. Nearly 60 percent of Wisconsin youth report depression, anxiety, self-harm, and suicidal ideation over the past 12 months. The format is virtual—a 2-hour self-paced online class followed by a full day instructor-led Zoom meeting. Check out this blog post for more information.
Intellectual Freedom/Dealing with Book Challenges:
- Our state treasure the Cooperative Children’s Book Center has a thoughtful response to a question from a librarian, wondering how best to respond to someone who is concerned that the library is trying to indoctrinate children. Remember the CCBC has a whole range of excellent resources and support for Wisconsin school and public libraries facing challenges or just wondering about intellectual freedom.
- The Wisconsin Library Association’s Youth Services Section and Intellectual Freedom SIG are co-sponsoring a webinar on April 5 from 2-3 (dang it, scheduled on top of our outreach webinar!), Navigating Pushback and Challenges. The webinar is free for WLA members, and costs $25 for non-members.
I’m happy to talk with you about any of these things, or anything else you have been thinking about!